On Friday, we went to see Pride and Prejudice. (The other contenders were RENT and Walk The Line.)
What I didn't like:
- The dialogue was often so stylized as to be absurdist, if not surreal.
- The actresses were anorexic.
- The whole plot, really. I'm not a Jane Austin fan.
What I did like:
- The naturalistic take on the whole thing
- The choice of actors, especially faces
- The contrasts that were shown, rather than explained
- Mary, who was played by a wonderful young actress. She really carried off the character via poise.
- The costuming usually worked quite well
- The director and the film cutter understood the pacing
- The cinematographer gave us solid visuals and interesting transitions.
That's it in a nutshell. If you want a film that uses its power to show, rather than tell, this is it. All the technical qualities which make a good film are in this film.