May 25th, 2014

DadnHersTruly

Rooting About the Garden

I was rooting about the old garden, cleaning it up, when I noticed that the weeds there formed a rather compact stand. They were almost a box. That made me suspicious. You see, the previous owners were Korean, and they had quite the garden in that area. Were these plants yet another Korean vegetable?

Resolving this too many forays into Google as I don't have the vocabulary to describe leaves, and my plant knowledge is truly quite pathetic.

I finally ran into an edible chrysanthemum, but that turned out to be a near miss. C. leaves are round while these leaves were spiky and two-tones. A little more research resolved the answer.

Mugwort. I've got Mugwort. The leaves of this plant are used in many Korean dishes, especially in the spring to early summer. So that means that we have yet more edible plants.

Meanwhile, the lawn is coming along. The previous owners had over-kept the lawn, and this year I'm finally seeing diversity return. The clover is encroaching, some of the tough patches have thinned out, and I'm seeing other weedy bits show up. Yay for diversity.

Since we just planted some apple trees, the dirt is all turned up around the trees, so I took the opportunity to plant some basil there as well. If we're going to get weeds, we're going to get the tastiest weeds that I can stack in my favor. I also tossed a little dill there for good measure. I'm rather a fan of fire and forget gardening, so they'll either grow or they won't.
DadnHersTruly

Reordering

"All the Saints Are Dead" (my work in progress, 2nd draft) has hit the point where scenes demand to get moved around, one after the other, and slipped backward into the text. This is nitpicky, demanding work that makes or breaks the pacing and the introduction of information. It also kills speed dead.

It all has to be done, of course. The information being introduced is all too late and any sane reader would send me a thwack against the head for delaying the info dumps. That's an inevitable result of emergent writing as I develop as I go along, and only later realize that those developments really should show up earlier.

These days, I use the "just in time" method for delivering information. That usually makes introducing information more interesting and more manageable, but once I start sliding things about, I begin creating havoc.